profile picture

Michael Stapelberg

Network setup for our retro computing event RGB2Rv18 (2018)

published 2018-10-30, last modified 2019-01-26
in tag rgb2r
Edit Icon

Our computer association NoName e.V. organizes a retro computing event called RGB2R every year, located in Heidelberg, Germany. This year’s version is called RGB2Rv18.

This article describes the network setup I created for this year’s event. If you haven’t read it, the article about last year’s RGB2Rv17 network is also available.


As a reminder, the venue’s DSL connection tops out at a megabit or two, so we used my parent’s 400 Mbit/s cable internet line, like last year.

A difference to last year is that we switched from the tp-link CPE510 devices to a pair of Ubiquiti airFiber24. The airFibers are specified to reach 1.4 Gbit/s. In practice, we reached approximately 700 Mbps displayed capacity (at a signal strength of ≈-60 dBm) and 422 Mbit/s end-to-end download speed, limited by the cable uplink.

Notably, using a single pair of radios removes a bunch of complexity from the network setup as we no longer need to load-balance over two separate uplinks.

Like last year, the edge router for the event venue was a PC Engines apu2c4. For the Local Area Network (LAN) within the venue, we provided a few switches and WiFi using Ubiquiti Networks access points.

WiFi setup

It turns out that the 24 GHz-based airFiber radios are much harder to align than the 5 GHz-based tp-links we used last year. With the tp-link devices, we were able to easily obtain a link, and do maybe 45 minutes of fine tuning to achieve maximum bandwidth.

With the airFiber radios mounted in the same location, we were unable to establish a link even once in about 1.5 hours of trying. We think this was due to trees/branches being in the way, so we decided to scout the property for a better radio location with as much of a direct line of sight as possible.

We eventually found a better location on the other side of the house and managed to establish a link. It still took us an hour or so of fine tuning to move the link from weak (≈-80 dBm) to okay (≈-60 dBm).

After the first night, in which it rained for a while, the radios had lost their link. We think that this might be due to the humidity, and managed to restore the link after another 30 minutes of re-adjustment.

It also rained the second night, but this time, the link stayed up. During rain, signal strength dropped from ≈-60 dBm to ≈-72 dBm, but that still resulted in ≈500 Mbit/s of WiFi capacity, sufficient to max out our uplink.

For next year, it would be great to use an antenna alignment tool of sorts to cut down on setup time. Alternatively, we could switch to more forgiving radios which also handle 500 Mbps+. Let me know if you have any suggestions!


In May this year, I wrote router7, a pure-Go small home internet router. Mostly out of curiosity, we gave it a shot, and I’m happy to announce that router7 ran the event without any trouble.

In preparation, I implemented TCP MSS clamping and included the WireGuard kernel module.

I largely followed the router7 installation instructions. To be specific, here is the Makefile I used for creating the router7 image:

# without dhcp6,
# as the cable uplink does not provide IPv6:
PKGS := \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

ifndef DIR
	@echo variable DIR unset
	GOARCH=amd64 gokr-packer \, \ \ \
		-overwrite_boot=${DIR}/boot.img \
		-overwrite_root=${DIR}/root.img \
		-overwrite_mbr=${DIR}/mbr.img \
		-serial_console=ttyS0,115200n8 \
		-hostname=rgb2router \

After preparing an interfaces.json configuration file and a breakglass SSH hostkey, I used rtr7-recover to net-install the image onto the apu2c4. For subsequent updates, I used rtr7-safe-update.

The Go packages under are wrappers which run software I installed to the permanent partition mounted at /perm. See gokrazy: Prototyping for more details.

Tunnel setup

Last year, we used a Foo-over-UDP tunnel after noticing that we didn’t get enough bandwidth with OpenVPN. This year, after hearing much about it, we successfully used WireGuard.

I found WireGuard to be more performant than OpenVPN, and easier to set up than either OpenVPN or Foo-over-UDP.

The one wrinkle is that its wire protocol is not yet frozen, and its kernel module is not yet included in Linux.

Traffic shaping

With asymmetric internet connections, such as the 400/20 cable connection we’re using, it’s necessary to shape traffic such that the upstream is never entirely saturated, otherwise the TCP ACK packets won’t reach their destination in time to saturate the downstream.

While the FritzBox might already provide traffic shaping, we wanted to voluntarily restrict our upstream usage to leave some headroom for my parents.

rgb2router# tc qdisc replace dev uplink0 root tbf \
  rate 16mbit \
  latency 50ms \
  burst 4000

The specified latency value is a best guess, and the burst value is derived from the kernel internal timer frequency (CONFIG_HZ) (!), packet size and rate as per

Tip: keep in mind to disable shaping temporarily when you’re doing bandwidth tests ;-).


  • We peaked at 59 active DHCP leases, which is very similar to the “about 60” last year.

  • DNS traffic peaked at about 25 queries/second, while mostly remaining at less than 5 queries/second.

  • We were able to obtain peaks of nearly 200 Mbit/s of download traffic and transferred over 200 GB of data, twice as much as last year.

I run a blog since 2005, spreading knowledge and experience for almost 20 years! :)

If you want to support my work, you can buy me a coffee.

Thank you for your support! ❤️